Friday, January 10, 2014

Caribbean Charm and Magical Mud

I don't think that I realized how large Colombia was before I got there.  A bus ride to the coast from Bogotá was supposed to be about 17 hours, but fellow travelers advised me that it could be upwards of 20, depending on the traffic. I found a flight to Cartagena for less than $100, and given the fact that I only had a week and a half left in my trip, I opted to fly. 

Cartagena is the colonial gem of Colombia, located on the northern Carribbean coast and with a clear Spanish influence. Reminescent of Granada, Nicaragua or Antigua, Guatemala (although slightly more developed), the city had a similar style of architecture, with small windy cobblestone streets and colorful facades. I spent my first day exploring the town on foot. 


Streets of Cartagena

Streets and Colombian flag

Main square

Cartagena Wall that surrounds and protects the city

Graffiti in the Getsemmani neighborhood

View of Bocagrande
I met up with my friend Lars from Bogotá and we went out to dinner in Getsemmani, which is a historic neighborhood known for its art and music scene. We saw a great flash mob style dance performance in the street there. I met a few interesting people at my hostel (El Viajero), including a guy from Denver and a girl named Emma from the UK who currently lives in Colombia. 

Cartagena was a quaint colonial city, but I was a bit overwhelmed by the number of tourists in the area-- the typical type of tourists, with huge sun hats and name tags and English-speaking guides.

On my second day, Emma and I decided to check out Volcan Totumo, or the mud volcano, and this was probably my highlight of my time in Cartagena.  About 45 minutes outside the city, you climb up a small hill and jump inside a warm, slippery silky mud bath made from natural silt. The mud is heavy and warm, and very fun to swim in. You also receive mud massages from locals who work for tips, and afterwards jump into a nearby resiovour to wash off. All in all it was a memorable and unique experience!

Emma and I in the Volcano
After my mud bath

Emma and I again
If I ever came back to Colombia, I would probably fly straight to Cartagena and spend some time in the nearby Isla Rosario before heading to Santa Marta, my next stop on my trip. Santa Marta is the access point for the incredible Parque Nacional Tayrona, one of the most beautiful places I saw in Colombia! Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment